Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Southern Hospitality Meets Retail Hostility

, , , , , | Right | October 16, 2023

My parents were from Georgia and Florida respectively, and though I have never lived in the south, I did end up with a very mild southern accent, including the tendency to use words like “darling” and “honey” when talking to people. This includes at work, talking to my customers. Usually, it’s not a problem, though I have had some people ask me not to do it after the first time because it makes them uncomfortable or whatever, and that’s fine; I understand and don’t mind the adjustment.

This woman, apparently, was a slightly different story. I was helping her with a money order, and everything had gone perfectly normally — until the end, when I wished her a good day

Me: “All right, have a good day, darling.”

Her entire demeanor changed and she just glared at me.

Customer: “My name is [Customer], not ‘darling’. I do not appreciate those kinds of euphemisms. Is that clear?”

Now, I have no problem adjusting, but her sudden anger took me off guard, and the “Is this clear?” with a very condescending attitude irritated me. It took me a second to respond, so she felt the need to repeat herself.

Customer: “Is that clear?”

Me: “Yes, I’m sorry, ma’am.”

She just continued to glower at me.

Customer: “I think it’s incredibly disrespectful to use those phrases, and I will not be treated like that. Is that clear?”

I was already annoyed with this woman for a simple thing that I would have been happy to fix if she hadn’t gotten on her high horse, and I had already apologized, so I just kind of blinked at her.

Customer: “I said… is. That. Clear?”

Me: “Of course, miss. I’m sorry.”

She just stormed off, with a final comment that she was going to complain to my store manager about me.

I caught my manager later and let her know.

Me: “Hey, you might get a complaint because, apparently, one of my customers took great offense that I accidentally called her ‘darling’.”

My manager just snorted and shook her head.

Manager: “Are you serious?” 

I understand some people don’t care for it, especially since I live nowhere near the south so it’s uncommon to hear, but that reaction seemed a bit extreme. I have no problem adjusting, but don’t treat me like a child and lecture me because of a dialect phrase. I wonder how that woman would fare anywhere farther south where most people speak like this.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!