Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Some People Have Never Been Told “No” And It Shows, Part 10

, , , | Right | CREDIT: Stucumber | December 26, 2023

I’m working as an assistant manager in a shop in the weeks following Christmas. We have a display of boxed chocolates and other sweet gifts. There’s an older lady perusing this selection as I’m tidying shelves, checking stock levels etc., when I hear a loud, very posh voice.

Customer: “Excuse me, you there!”

Me: “Can I help you, madam?”

Customer: “Yes, I’m looking for a box of chocolates.”

Me: “Anything in particular?”

Customer: “Well, just something to replace these.”

She has with her, in her hand, a box of chocolates that we sold, that much I can see.

Me: “I’ll be happy to help you find a replacement.”

I know these chocolates aren’t exclusive to us and could be found elsewhere locally, so I ask:

Me: “Do you have a receipt?”

Customer: *Haughtily.* “Oh no, I didn’t buy them, they were a gift! My grandchildren told me they bought them here.”

I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. She’s acting a bit superior but I am determined to be professional and polite.

Me: “May I just ask, what’s the problem with the chocolates you are returning?”

Customer: “Oh there’s nothing wrong with them, I just don’t like them!”

Me: “I’m sorry, could I just see which ones they are?”

She holds the box out, and I can now see that they have been opened, with the seal broken and the inner packaging loose.

Me: “I’m sorry, madam, this box has been opened, I can’t accept a return if the product isn’t faulty.”

Customer: “Well of course it’s open, I had to try them! That’s how I know I don’t like them!”

Me: “But there’s nothing actually wrong with them? They’re not mouldy or contaminated?”

Customer: “No, I just don’t like them!”

Her condescending tone is starting to get to me.

Me: “I’m sorry, madam, I won’t be able to accept these for return as the product was in good condition when we sold them, and they’ve been opened since.

Customer: “”This is atrocious! How am I supposed to know if I like something if I can’t open it!? I will not be shopping here again!” *Storms out.*

This might have carried some weight if she had actually ever deigned to shop here in the first place.

True to her word, we never saw her again.

Related:
Some People Have Never Been Told “No” And It Shows, Part 9
Some People Have Never Been Told “No” And It Shows, Part 8
Some People Have Never Been Told “No” And It Shows, Part 7
Some People Have Never Been Told “No” And It Shows, Part 6
Some People Have Never Been Told “No” And It Shows, Part 5

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!