Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Refunder Blunder: The Game

, , , , | Right | June 3, 2021

I take calls and chats for a big gaming company, so I get a lot of people that are upset when something doesn’t work right. I get a mother as my first chat of the day that had started a refund request the Saturday before I got her. We can’t always give out refunds, so we have requirements that need to be met. She has met them, so she had the request sent to our back office by the first agent and was told to wait ten to twelve days for the refund.

The next day she gets in the chats again.

Mother: “I got the first half of the refund an hour after I had the request put in.”

Agent: “I don’t know why that’s happened like that. I’ll get the refund request sent to the back office again, but you will still have to wait ten to twelve days for the other half.”

The chat with the agent ends. Monday comes and I get Angry Mom.

Mother: “I bought some in-game currency for my daughter’s birthday, but it didn’t show up in-game!”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that; let me see what I can do. Do you have the serial number from the console so that I have all this information on record?”

Mother: “No one has ever asked for the serial number before!”

I can see the last guy did.

Mother: “I’m not going to give it to you.”

I mark down, “I couldn’t get the serial number,” and move on. I can see all weekend she’s tried to get this worked out, so I ask my supervisor if I should send this refund request to the back office for a third time.

Supervisor: “No, if the back office has it, they will get to it.”

I go back to the mother.

Me: “I see you have a request set up already, so please wait the eight to ten days you have left.”

Mother: “No, I had the first half back an hour after I talked with the first guy and I want the rest of the money back now.”

I still don’t know how or why this happened like this, but my info says it takes ten to twelve days and I tell her this.

Mother: “That’s bulls***.”

At this point, she doesn’t care what I say unless I give her her money back, but I still have to follow what I’m told by my supervisor. I nicely ask her again to wait and again she says no. I give her the number of our tier-two help to see if they can make it any faster for her.

Mother: “No. I don’t have a phone; that’s why I have been using chat.”

Me: “Then I am afraid I can’t do anything for you. You can either wait the rest of the time or use someone else’s phone to call in to get further help.”

She goes off about how she just wants her money back and this was a gift for her daughter’s birthday and how it’s being ruined because she doesn’t have the money to get her stuff in the game.

I stop feeling sorry for her and feel worse for the kid having to live with that. I still say I’m sorry to hear all this and that I can’t do anything to make this go faster. 

Mother: “I’m going to contact the cops on you all and say that you’re stealing my money.”

This was the first time I’d had something go this far, and I was still new at this point, so I had ZERO idea of what to do. No one else knew what to do, either, really. After I saw that she’d left the chat, I ended the contact.

I don’t know if she ever got her money back or if she did go to the cops about this, but I also haven’t seen any news about the company getting sued over $10, so who knows?

Related:
Refunder Blunder, Part 54
Refunder Blunder, Part 53
Refunder Blunder, Part 52
Refunder Blunder, Part 51
Refunder Blunder, Part 50

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!