Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

One Not-So-Smooth Operator

, , , , , | Working | November 4, 2021

There is an operator at work who thinks the rules don’t apply to him. He drives without a licence, ignores instructions at work, and brags about not paying his TV licence or child support. [Operator] is a scumbag, he’s unpleasant to be around, and generally, we would all be better off without him on this planet.

The reason that he still works here is that our boss is struggling through cancer treatment. Of course, [Operator] doesn’t think that this is in any way his problem or that he should make any effort to make the boss’s life easier.

[Operator] is just as toxic and a strain on the business as ever. But only his boss can fire him for his work performance, and I don’t think he has the strength to go through what I bet would be weeks of [Operator] using technicalities to try and get out of it.

I don’t realise anything has changed until [Operator] comes charging out of the office.

Operator: “You can’t do that; you’re not my boss.”

Manager: “Please come back into the office and we can talk.”

Operator: “No, you’re trying to bend the rule and get rid of me based on stupid rules that don’t mean anything. I want to do this here in front of everyone.”

Manager: “Okay, based on the evidence and the lack of any evidence to the contrary, human resources will be terminating your position immediately.”

Operator: “You can’t do that; you’re not my boss! It says so in the company rules.”

Manager: “Your line manager can manage you through your performance. I manage the site and these issues are at site level.”

Operator: “That’s just a technicality, and I’m being fired for what? Bad parking?”

Manager: “Fifteen counts of blocking the disabled bay, despite being told that we have staff who depend on that space, two cases of damage to company property through striking it with your car, and one case of theft of company property.”

Operator: “I told you I was borrowing it.”

Manager: “If you borrow something, you have to have permission and bring it back.”

Operator: “And God, I told you I lost it.”

Manager: “This isn’t for discussion anymore. Please collect your things and leave. I’m told that you need not ask for a reference here.”

Operator: “You don’t know. People will stand against you once I leave; there will be a walkout. How is poor [Boss] going to manage without me?”

Manager: “That isn’t your concern anymore. Please leave.”

He left, knocking things over as he went. Apparently, he tried to stage a walkout by messaging a load of people at work. No one went for it. Even his “mates” were happy that he had left, and the whole environment is far better now. 

Our boss pulled through in the end; he stayed for a few more years and then took early retirement.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!