Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

And People Wonder Why Brick-And-Mortar Is Failing

, , , , , | Working | November 3, 2021

I currently work in part from home, and, as a test engineer, I have a lot of things jacked into my lab computer. This requires a flock of USB port hubs. One fails, and since I already used my last spare without remembering to order a backup, I need to visit a physical store to get a replacement.

I check the websites of all of the chains with local stores for stock of a suitable temporary device and price I can get reimbursed for, and I find one that will do for a few days listed as, “In stock at your store: $12.99”. 

“Awesome!” I think. It might be crap, but if it functions for a few days until the proper unit shows up, I’ll be good.

I go to the store. They have it, but it is priced at $35. 

Rather than just walk out, I talk to the manager and his assistant. The manager is pretty on-the-ball, but the assistant can’t stop talking.

Assistant: “It happens all the time. When a customer asks, we just fix the price. It’s the corporate website, technically, not ours. This is really just the convenience charge.”

Okay. Problem. Big problem.

Me: “This is illegal. You’re aware that your prices are not correct, and the website reflects what the correct price in your store is, and you only fix it when someone complains?”

Assistant: “Yeah, I agree it’s illegal, but…”

Did he really just say that?

Me: *To the manager* “See you later. Or, actually, no. I won’t.”

And I walked out the door. I checked the website again, and it had no indication that store prices may differ, and it clearly stated that the item was in stock at the store for $12.99.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!