Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

May All Your Customers Be Lorraines

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: delvewithin | October 30, 2022

When I worked for a lovely cosmetic company in a lovely department store, we had this wonderful lady, Lorraine, who would come in every few months to get her “beauty cream.” But that is not all she would do.

She “baked bread and made rugs for the Lord” — her words, not mine. Every time she came in, she would hand over at least six loaves of delicately prepared bread. We’re talking all types: banana, fruit, spice, etc. If you said anything about a kind of bread, she would bring it the next time, and she would never take a dime for any of it.

Her rugs were elegant and were charged as such. I wish I had gotten one. But being a retail worker on less than minimum wage, I could not spare payment for such beauty because bills must be paid.

Eventually, poor Lorraine could not drive herself anymore, as she was getting into her nineties, so whenever we had a big promotion with good deals, I would call her.

Lorraine: “I would love to come in, but I have to wait for my son to bring me, and I’m not sure when that will be.”

Me: “Lorraine, you’re wonderful. And even though I’m not allowed, I will bring this to you.”

She happily agreed. So, every few months, I would call and see how she was on her product. (I’m lying here; I would call her about once a week to check on her. Don’t judge me; she was an amazing person.) And every few months, I would deliver what she needed.

She was always so happy and greeted me at the door. And every single time, she would offer me tea and tell me stories, and she was just so elated that I was there. My heart was always so full when I left, and it was always hard to leave. In the bad winter months, she would always offer to let me stay in her home.

She was the most amazing person I’ve met. I want to be her.

I cried when I didn’t hear from her for a while and saw the obituary. I think of her so very often, and the kindness she spread will always resonate with me.

I’m sharing her story in hopes to keep her alive forever. Rest in peace, Lorraine. I strive to be the amazing person you were.

Be like Lorraine.


This story is part of our end-of-year Feel Good roundup for 2022!

Read the next Feel Good 2022 story!

Read the Feel Good 2022 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!