Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Kindness Only Needs To Cost A Dollar

, , , , , , | Hopeless | March 30, 2018

(I work in a classy fast food restaurant, and we typically have families or couples that make each day a great one. I truly enjoy my job. This particular day, I have an elderly couple at the register. They are nothing but smiles.)

Me: “Your total is $18.87.”

(One of the customers hands me a $20 bill.)

Me: “Okay, here’s your dollar bill and your coins.”

Customer: “Goody! I have a new dollar bill, so I can show you my joke. Do you have time?”

(They are currently the only ones ordering, so I oblige. He then hands me the dollar bill.)

Customer: “I want you to find three things on this dollar: an important person, a dairy product, and a movie title that was once a book.”

(I am stumped and can’t figure it out. The customer takes the dollar back.)

Customer: “The important person is the president. The dairy product—” *he proceeds to rip the dollar in half* “—is half and half. The movie title that was once a book—” *proceeds to throw the ripped bill in the air with great theatrics* “—is Gone with the Wind.”

(I’m a very emotional person, and laughing generally brings tears to my eyes, which my coworkers have gotten used to.)

Customer: “If I had known this would be your reaction, I would have used the $20 bill!”

(Since this incident, he and his wife have traveled from their town — around 50 miles away — every single month to visit me, bringing a new joke or piece of wisdom every time. The ripped dollar bill is framed in my room, with the joke written beside it, along with all of the other stories, jokes, and quotes that he’s given me. He recently stated that he has more enjoyment from telling people about my reactions than actually telling me the joke!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!