Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Keeping Them Account(ant)able

, , , , , | Working | April 20, 2023

My wife and I shopped in a home improvement store in the next town over. I purchased an item. As my purchase was being put in the register, the clerk asked for my zip code. I knew why but chose to ask the reason.

Clerk: “We need the zip code so we can charge the correct sales tax, according to the new state law that identifies the sales tax rate by the zip code of the customer.”

Me: “You don’t need it for this purchase.”

Clerk: “You don’t understand. We—”  

I cut her off in a nice way.

Me: “I do understand. I’m an accountant, and the new law requires you to charge sales tax by zip code at the point of delivery. Because this item is being delivered into my hands, in your store, in your town, that is the point of delivery for the zip code to charge sales tax. So, charge me the sales tax according to the rate in this town.”

A few weeks later, we were back in that store and purchased an item. It so happened that the same clerk rang us up.

Clerk: “You were the one who explained the sales tax to me, right?”

Me: “Yep.”

Clerk: “I told our manager what you told me. He called corporate and they told him, ‘That guy is right.’ We have been doing it wrong for a couple of months now. Thanks for correcting us.”

Did I get a discount? Did I want one? No. I just couldn’t let that store keep screwing up.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!