Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It Will Be Years Unless You Help Them

, , , , | Right | February 1, 2022

I work as a customer service representative for a pet food manufacturer. If we have to replace a product, I will issue a voucher to the customer that is valid for a period of three years. The date at the top of the voucher will be today’s date (eg; 15 July 2021) while the expiry date will be at the bottom of the voucher (eg; 15 July 2025).

Luckily, in my few years of working here, I have only received this query a handful of times.

Me: “[My Name] speaking, how can I help you?”

Customer: “Hi, you sent me a voucher to replace the damaged product that I bought, but I’ve noticed a problem with it.”

Me: “Oh, I’m so sorry about that! What was wrong with it?”

Customer: “Well, you wrote the date on the voucher, but it expires on the same day that you issued it, so I already can’t use it! I don’t know why you would make it valid for only one day, especially as it takes a few days to be delivered to me!”

Me: “I see… Would you happen to have the voucher with you?”

Customer: “Yes, I’m looking right at it!”

Me: “Can you read me the full date at the bottom?”

Customer: “It says 15th July… Oh. 2025.” 

Me: “Yep.”

The customer will usually laugh it off, but I always wonder, who stops reading the date MIDWAY?! It’s not even a lot to read. How is it easier to find my number and have a five-minute chat, rather than finish reading a full date?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!