Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Inhale(r) Slowly And Exhale On A Scream

, , , , | Healthy | September 27, 2022

I work in a pharmacy that ships out two deliveries (to nursing homes) per day. We call these the first run and the second run. While the first run is being packed up, a couple of people stay in the main pharmacy to answer the phones. Today, it’s [Coworker] and me.

Me: “Pharmacy, how can I help you?”

Caller: “I’m so happy I got you! Thank you so much for being the one who answered! My name is [Caller], and it’s been such a long day. I have no patience for [Coworker]. I love her, but she just talks so slowly and it takes too long. Anyway, I’m glad I got you!”

I’m not sure how to respond because I don’t feel the need to share [Coworker]’s reasons for working at the speed she does, but I’m not going to bad mouth her, either. I wait patiently for the caller to finish saying how the whole conversation takes longer when she gets [Coworker], oblivious to the irony.

Eventually, she gets to the point.

Caller: “So, my name is [Caller] and I’m a nurse at [Facility]. One of my patients has an inhaler that’s not working, and we need it stat.”

I take the patient’s information and check when we sent the inhaler.

Me: “Well, I’m not sure why the inhaler isn’t working, but the patient has refills and is due for a refill anyway. I can put that through for tonight.”

Caller: “I’m going to need it for the first run.”

At this point, it’s 5:30. The cutoff for the first run is 4:00. Anything we get afterward is for the second run. However, it’s a rescue inhaler and we’re not super slammed, so I tell her I can try to push it through for her.

Caller: “So, that will be on the first run?”

Me: “I will try to get it on the first run, but it might end up on the second run.”

Caller: “Wait, so can we get it on the first run?”

Me: “I’ll do my best.”

Caller: “Thank you so much, and what was your name?”

While I was born and raised in the United States, and my accent is very American, my name is not English. It tends to throw people off.

Me: “[My Name].”

Caller: “I’m sorry, what was that?”

Me: “It’s [My Name].”

The pharmacist has been following my side of the conversation, and at this point, she speaks up. The caller can’t hear her.

Pharmacist: “Just hang up so we can take care of it already!”

Caller: “Could you spell that for me?”

Me: “Sure.”

I spell my name out, the caller hangs up, and I run the refill. 

Pharmacist: *Shaking her head* “Bless you, [My Name]. All I can say is bless you.”

Now I’m left with one question. If [Caller] was so happy that I answered the phone, who did she think I was if she didn’t remember my name?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!