Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s Important To Look These Questions Right In The Eye

, , , , , , | Healthy | September 29, 2022

Ever since I was about eight, I have had a very high prescription for my vision. I’m now in my mid-twenties. I have looked into LASIK but am not a candidate, so I’m looking into ICL surgery, where they implant a lens in the eye.

I’m at an appointment with a surgeon to see if it’s something I can have done. After many tests, the surgeon determines that he will have to discuss my case with another surgeon since he has never done the surgery on someone with my prescription.

Assistant #1: “She does have a few questions about the surgery if that’s all right.”

Surgeon: “Eh, let’s not waste our time if I can’t even do the surgery on her.”

I’m a little put off by this. A few days later, I get a call from a different assistant.

Assistant #2: “[Surgeon] talked with the other surgeon, and they’ve agreed they can do the surgery. I’ve scheduled it for [date]. Does that work for you?”

Me: “Er, I had a few questions for the surgeon that I wanted to ask before making any decisions.”

Assistant #2: “I can do that. What questions do you have?”

We go through a few different questions, and these are the ones that make me uncomfortable going through with the surgery.

Me: “How many times has this other surgeon done the surgery on someone with a prescription like mine?”

Assistant #2: “Once.”

Me: “And were there any complications?”

Assistant #2: “There were, but they were resolved. The patient is very happy with the results.”

Me: “What are the risks if I do the surgery?”

Assistant #2: “If they do the wrong sized lens, you could end up with glaucoma that could cause blindness, or you could have retinal detachment. But we can try to resolve any issues that might happen.”

Me: “How much does the surgery cost?”

Assistant #2: “$4,000 per eye.”

Me: “And when is that due?”

Assistant #2: “The entire payment will need to be paid the day before the surgery.”

Me: “Okay, thank you for your time. I will need to discuss this with my husband first, so please cancel the scheduled surgery.”

Assistant #2: “But it’s your eyes.”

Me: “I understand, but I do need to discuss this with him first.”

Assistant #2: “But it’s your eyes.”

Me: “I’m currently a stay-at-home mom, and my husband is the sole provider of our family. We discuss big expenses together before making any discussions.”

Assistant #2: “But it’s your eyes!”

I’m thinking, “No crap, lady, it’s my eyes. I still have to pay $8,000 whether or not the surgeon potentially blinds me or leaves me with major complications.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!