Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

I MUST STICK TO MY SCRIPT

, , , , , | Working | April 23, 2022

My car has a puncture. I have breakdown cover, and I call them. I don’t know if I’m covered for punctures. I am hoping to ask this early on, which turns out to be a mistake.

Agent #1: “[Breakdown Service], what is the car registration, please?”

Me: “Hey, buddy, my name is [My Name], and the reg is [registration information]. I hope I’m covered for a puncture.”

Agent #1: “Is the car a [Make & Model]?”

Me: “Yeah, in red. Can I have your name?”

Agent #1: “What is the first line of your address?”

Me: “It’s [Address], and you were asked for your name, please, mate.”

Agent #1: “[Agent #1]. What is the first line of your address?”

I don’t like his attitude. If they don’t cover punctures, there’s no point going through security, right?

Me: “I’m wondering, am I covered for a puncture? Because—”

He interrupts me and starts talking over me. I ignore it and finish my sentence.

Me: “—if I’m not covered, then there’s no point going through the script.”

He’s stopped talking.

Me: “Hello, [Agent #1]?”

Agent #1: “I need your email address.”

Me: “And I asked you if your employer covers punctures, because—”

He interrupts me again, for about five seconds.

Me: “Are you all right, buddy? Could you let me speak?”

Agent #1: “No. We’re going to go through security and I’ll find out where your car is.”

Me: “Do you feel that I’m being less than civil? Surely, you can handle me asking if I’m covered for something.”

Cue another five-second interruption.

Agent #1: “I’m in charge of how we do this call. The way it works is you answer the questions I ask, and I’ll give you a time.”

Me: “Look, [Agent #1], don’t take this the wrong way, but have you a boss or somebody I can speak to?”

Agent #1: “Why?”

Me: “Look, mate, I don’t like how you’re speaking. I find you to be really confrontational, and you’re interrupting me and not listening. You can’t speak to customers that way.”

Agent #1: “No. You’ll have to speak to customer services in the morning. Today is Sunday; they’re closed.”

Me: “I find that difficult to accept. I put it to you, there’s somebody you could put me on to.”

Agent #1: “No, that’s how it works.”

Me: “All right, anyway. Punctures, am I covered?”

Agent #1: “And I asked for your email.”

Me: “Well, isn’t that a surprise. Do you get it that I feel I’m a defendant being cross-examined by a prosecutor here?”

Agent #1: “…”

I’m getting nowhere, but I offer him the courtesy of explaining why I’ll call back later.

Me: “I don’t think you’re going to be able to help me today. I find you to be really confrontational. You’re interrupting me, not listening, and—”

Agent #1: “I’m going to have to terminate this call.”

Me: “Wow.”

He hangs up.

I call back later.

Agent #2: “[Breakdown Service], [Agent #2] speaking. What can I do for you?”

Me: “Can you help with a puncture in [Town]? [My Name] speaking.”

Agent #2: “Hi, [My Name]. I don’t know. I’ll check. Can I get three out of four of your full name, full address, email, and car registration, please?”

Me: “Sure. [My Name], [Address], and the car reg is [registration information].”

Agent #2: “Is it [Make & Model]?”

Me: “Yes.”

Agent #2: “Where is the vehicle?”

Me: “The postcode is [postcode].”

Agent #2: “[Postcode]. Okay. The team will be with you at approximately 1930. He will phone you on the number you are calling from. Have you anything else?”

Me: “No, you’re most helpful. Goodnight, [Agent #2].”

I called customer services, but the system said complaints were only accepted in writing. I did that. I asked them to sit down with [Agent #1] and play both calls to him, as a good and a bad example. Yes, [Agent #2] was civil, but what stood out was that he was concise and clear above all else.

Customers are allowed to go off-script, and you can’t treat the call like an interrogation. I will be pleasantly surprised if they reply.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!