Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

He Probably Has No Idea How Lucky He Is For This Patient Employee

, , , , , | Working | December 27, 2023

My boss has a temper, but he likes and respects me. He still yells at me — but not on purpose, I think.

[Boss] is on the phone screaming at some poor employee about something mundane. I make eye contact with him and then a throat-spitting motion generally known to mean “Cut it out.” [Boss] lowers his voice, but he is still being bad.

I put out my hand, and after a pause, [Boss] hands me the phone.

Me: *To the worker on the phone* “Hi! Why don’t you take a sec, and then we can work on whatever this is? I’ve just heard my boss’s side. Everyone heard him, I would think.”

[Boss] stares angrily.

Worker: “I’m not sure what he wants, actually. I don’t have enough information to access his account.”

Me: “Okay, let’s start with that.”

We access [Boss]’s account and figure out that there is a very small overdue amount that he is upset about, probably. I don’t ask.

Me: *To the worker* “I’m putting you on hold.” *To [Boss]* “I need your business credit card for a moment. Just trust me.”

[Boss] frowns deeply but gets it for me.

Me: *To the worker* “Okay, I’m back. I can pay the overdue amount now.” *Does so* “Is there anything else that looks wrong?”

Worker: “I think he shouldn’t have any issues…”

Me: “Is it possible I can call you back directly if this doesn’t solve whatever issue he had?”

Worker: “Um… Yes… but please don’t have him call? I just… feel like it was more efficient to talk to you… He is still a valued customer, of course.”

Me: “Oh, of course!”

After concluding the call and returning the card, I take a deep breath in front of [Boss] because that often tricks him into doing a deep breath subconsciously.

Boss: “That worker was an a**hole. Everyone I’ve talked to today has been a total a**hole.”

Me: “You know what all those interactions had in common?”

Boss: “Idiots.”

Me: “Your words, not mine.”

Boss: “…?”

Me: “You are the common denominator. You don’t need to be an a**hole to everyone.”

Boss: “No… You don’t know what it’s like! It’s hard not to lose my temper when they won’t help.”

Me: “I actually get practice not losing my temper all day.”

Boss: “Because you are surrounded by idiots?”

Me: “Only when I’m around you. Please follow my example and don’t yell at people. If your throat hurts and people are looking at you weird, you are probably yelling.”

[Boss] got up and walked away with a scowl.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!