Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

“Groundhog Day” Must Have Seriously Confused Them

, , , , , | Working | December 13, 2017

(I work at a company that is open 24 hours a day due to the nature of our business. There is a separate day staff and night staff that both rotate through several different shifts. The earliest day shift is 2:00 am to 10:00 am, and the latest is 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. This happens one night while I, a night staff worker, am on the floor during one of the few times when there are both day and night staff employees there together. A day staff coworker has just gotten in for his 2:00 to 10:00 am shift, and we are talking about our respective hours and how we feel about them.)

Coworker: “Yeah, I don’t mind them so much, but I was definitely lied to in my interview.”

Me: “Oh, really? How so?”

Coworker: “Yeah, they told me I’d never be here past 6:00 pm.”

Me: “Oh, do they schedule you later than that sometimes?”

Coworker: “Well, yeah. Like, right now I come into work at 2:00 am.”

Me: “But you’re leaving by 10:00.”

Coworker: “Yeah, but I have to start at 2:00 am. They told me I’d never be here past 6:00.”

Me: “But you’re not here past 6:00 pm. None of your shifts end after 6:00.”

Coworker: “But this one starts after 6:00 pm.”

(After several tries to get him to understand that A NEW DAY STARTS AT MIDNIGHT and that 2:00 am is NOT, in fact, after 6:00 pm, I gave up. This was a job that required a college degree, and here was this guy telling me that, just because it was after 6:00 pm of the previous day, he was lied to about his hours. By that standard, EVERYTHING is after 6:00 pm!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!