Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Flight Fumble Finds Finland In Financial Fulfillment

, , , , , | Right | April 13, 2024

There’s only been one time in my entire life when contacting the hotel directly, despite booking through a third-party site, actually worked in my favor. And that was only because it also worked in the hotel’s favor.

Last summer, I spent about a week in Helsinki, Finland — let’s say August 10 through 16. I knew I was flying out of Minneapolis-St. Paul on August 10, so it seemed reasonable.

But, silly me, I forgot that because of the time change, I was taking off from Minnesota on the 10th but would actually be landing in Helsinki around noon on August 11 and therefore didn’t need the room for the night of the 10th.

I emailed the hotel — still a few weeks before my flight — and explained the issue. I would actually be checking in on August 11 and still checking out on August 16. I was more than happy to still pay for the room for the night of the 10th, as long as it would be ready for me by check-in time on the 11th.

I KNOW the hotel sold the room for the 10th, so you’re welcome, [Helsinki Hotel], for the free double-booking! I hope you enjoyed that unexpected extra profit.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!