Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Do You Ever Feel Seen?

, , , , , | Friendly | July 17, 2022

This takes place during the global health crisis. I’m in my twenties, but I have a chronic pain disorder that makes it difficult for me to manage stairs and carry heavy things. I can manage my daily life okay, but travelling often gets bothersome since I don’t drive and have to rely on public transportation. 

I’m travelling to visit my family for the Easter holidays and I’ve booked a train ticket. I don’t use any kind of mobility aides so my disability is not instantly visible, plus I’m overweight, so most people just assume I use elevators because I’m lazy. Since I’m used to getting the stink-eye for riding elevators, and I hate being late for anything, I’ve made it a habit to always have plenty of time to spare when I have to go anywhere by train.

I’m changing trains in Stockholm, and I still have some time before my train leaves. I’m waiting for the elevator to take me to my platform when an older lady with a walker comes up. She looks rather frail and is wearing a mask even though they are not publically recommended in Sweden at this point. I figure this is probably a person who would appreciate having the elevator to herself, so I let her go ahead of me.

While I’m waiting for the next ride, a mother with a child in a stroller and a whole bunch of bags is coming up to stand next to me. I’m still not in too much of a hurry, so when the elevator comes back down, I wave at her to enter.

Me: “Go ahead. I’m not in a hurry.”

Mother: “No, that’s okay. I noticed you letting that other lady go ahead of you already. I know not all disabilities are visible. We’ll take the next one.”

That was possibly the nicest thing anyone’s done for me during the entire health crisis. Thanks to her, I made it to my train with plenty of time to spare and didn’t have to stress myself out finding my seat.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!