Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Check Yourself Before You Self-Checkout, Part 5

, , , , | Right | September 17, 2020

We just recently got self-checkout machines at our grocery store location. Needless to say, many older customers hate it because they don’t understand the technology. Today, I’m working in the self-checkout area to assist customers with any issues they may have and to verify ages on alcohol. I have six registers I’m constantly rotating between.

Customer: *Already with attitude* “Can you help me?! I’ve never done this before.”

Me: “Absolutely, I can demonstrate for you, and then if you have any questions, I can help out.”

Customer: “No. I want you to do it for me.”

Me: “Unfortunately, since this is self-checkout, I can’t do it for you.”

I am trying to give her another option than to just say no.

Me: “We have other regular registers that would be more than happy to assist.”

Customer: “Then what do you even get paid for? What am I paying you for?”

Just then, another customer walks up and needs help.

Me: “Ma’am, I’m watching five other registers at the same time. I’m going to go help this gentleman and I will be right back.”

I go help the other customer, and when I come back, the first customer is visibly upset with her arms crossed.

Me: “Would you like to use our registers? They are very simple once you get used to the system.”

Customer: “No, I want you to do it for me.”

Me: “Ma’am, again, our management does not want us checking the items for the customers. We still have plenty of regular registers open for your convenience.”

Suddenly, she rings all of her items out by herself like she’s done this before a thousand times without one issue. I still stand close to monitor her just in case. The customer finishes and she looks me straight in the eyes.

Customer: “I hate these f****** machines. Bring the humans back.”

And she left without even a glance back.

Related:
Check Yourself Before You Self-Checkout, Part 4
Check Yourself Before You Self-Checkout, Part 3
Check Yourself Before You Self-Checkout, Part 2
Check Yourself Before You Self-Checkout

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!