Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Check How You Behave With The Check

, , | Right | May 3, 2018

(I’m filling in at a rural location of our bank until they fill an opening. This location has a very small, tight-knit clientele, and most of them have been very nice to me. There are a few, however, who enjoy messing with the “new, big-city” banker. I’ve gotten several in a row on this day, and am feeling particularly sassy.)

Me: “Hi! What can I help you with today?”

Customer: “I just want to cash this check.” *hands me a check for several thousand dollars*

Me: “Sure! I’ll just need to see your ID.”

Customer: “Oh, you asked for ID. NEWBIE!”

Me: “Actually, I’ve been with [Bank] for a few years, now—”

Customer: “NEWBIE!”

Me: “I’m just helping out here until they can hire a new banker—”

Customer: “NEWBIE!”

Me: “And it’s actually bank policy to ask for ID on a check of this amount—”

Customer: “NEWBIE!”

(The customer continues to screech “NEWBIE!” at me every few seconds as I run his check through the system. I count his cash back to him.)

Me: *in my sweetest voice* “So, [Customer], if the next person in line tells me they’re you, and they want to take $1000 out of your account, I should let them?”

Customer: “Wait… What?”

Me: “Sure! I mean, they say they’re you, and I shouldn’t ask for ID… right?”

Customer: *pause* “Touché.”

(One of the other bankers snorts.)

Me: “Is there anything else we can help you with today?”

Customer: “Nah, I’m good. Enjoy your weekend.”

(The customer left. I heard a couple of the other bankers and tellers burst into laughter. If I’d said that to anyone at my normal location, I would’ve gotten into trouble… But no one there ever said anything against it. I still love that little branch so much!)


This story is part of our Bank Customer roundup!

Read the next Bank Customer roundup story!

Read the Bank Customer roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!