Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Buy Your Own Beer, Jerk

, , , , , | Working | January 28, 2021

It is Christmas and the office has a raffle. I don’t normally bother with it, as the prizes can be a bit naff. But this year, I get pushed into it and buy a ticket.

As it happens, the draw is held the day after I leave for the year, so I tell a bunch of my coworkers to hold on to anything I might win.

Fast forward to the new year, a week or so in. The subject of the raffle comes up.

Coworker: “Oh, did you pick up your prize?”

Me: “Wait, I won something?”

Coworker: “Yeah, a case of [popular beer].”

Me: “Oh, great! No, I didn’t. Who put it aside for me?”

Coworker: “I was going to, but [Human Resources Manager] volunteered. He was pretty insistent.”

I manage to catch up with him a few days later. He seems fine until I bring up the subject of the raffle.

HR Manager: “Did I? I can’t remember. Beer, was it?”

Me: “Apparently so. I was on holiday.”

HR Manager: “Some would say if you missed the draw, you miss out.”

He laughs, but I just stand silent.

Me: “So, if you could bring it into the office when you get a chance…”

HR Manager: “Sure, sure. I am sure I put it somewhere safe.”

A week or so passes. I don’t see him in the office much, so when I do, I take the chance.

Me: “Any luck on that beer? We’ve got a poker night next week that it would go towards.”

HR Manager: “Oh, that. No, sorry. I keep forgetting. I will bring it in Monday.”

It’s only Wednesday, but whatever. I’m not in the mood to argue. Tuesday comes around.

HR Manager: “I have that beer for you.”

Me: “That’s a four-pack of [cheaper beer]; the prize was a case of [export beer].”

HR Manager: “Oh, I’m sorry. I must have mistaken it and drank it.”

Me: “So, you will replace the beer.”

HR Manager: “Well, isn’t that enough?!”

Me: “No, could you replace my beer, which I won? With that same beer that you took and drank?!”

HR Manager: “Fine!”

He snatches the beer out of my hands.

Yet another couple of weeks later, I get the feeling that he has been avoiding me. I see him in a meeting with his boss. As politely as possible, I knock on the door and stick my head around.

Me: “So sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to remind [HR Manager] that he was going to replace the beer he took from me over Christmas. I’m sure he would appreciate the reminder as it has been several weeks.”

Big Boss:  “From the raffle? That was your beer?”

Me: “That’s right. Unfortunately, [HR Manager] forgot that he didn’t win it, then forgot it wasn’t his, and has now forgotten to replace it.”

Big Boss: *To [HR Manager]* “Very forgetful all of a sudden. I seem to recall you saying that you were hoping to snag that one, weren’t you?”

HR Manager: “I don’t recall saying exactly that…”

Big Boss: *To me* “Well, I’m sure [HR Manager] has no issue replacing your beer and perhaps a little more as an apology for his ‘forgetfulness.’”

HR Manager: “I don’t think that’s—”

Big Boss: “Tonight.”

Me: “Thank you, and sorry for interrupting.”

I got my case, but no extra and no apology. But I wasn’t really expecting one. I almost feel sorry for dropping him in it. Almost.


This story is part of our Best Of January 2021 roundup! This is the last story in this roundup, but if you’d like to read more of our favorite stories, you can always check out December’s roundup next!

Read the next Best Of January 2021 roundup story!

Read the Best Of January 2021 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!