Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Coworker Won’t Break Me!

, , , , | Working | January 28, 2021

I just started a new job in an office. I have done several similar roles for many years so I feel pretty confident. I hit the ground running. My boss, coworkers, and other departments give me glowing reviews and I quickly make friends and put in place some real improvements. It is a pretty good place to work.

However, I’ve found one person who is my constant critic. Whatever I do, she has a comment. If I make a suggestion, she is the one to criticise it. She fruitlessly tries to bad mouth me at every turn.

At first, I try to work with her and make extra effort. After a while, I put it down to her being a miserable old woman and decide that I am wasting my efforts and just avoid her where I can.

One day, I am pulled into my boss’s office; a complaint has been made.

Boss: “Someone has reported to me that you have been taking extra breaks, going outside and smoking.”

Me: “I don’t take my provided coffee breaks and grab a break when I can. Is that an issue?”

Boss: “You should probably just take your breaks on time, just to stop any complaints.”

Me: *Sighing* “Look. I know it’s [Coworker] complaining. She has an issue with me. I don’t know why and I’ve given up trying to make friends with her. If you want me to play ball, I will. But I only miss my breaks to get work done when equipment is available.”

Boss: “Thanks, [My Name]. I appreciate you not rocking the boat. On another note, are you ready for the meeting this afternoon?”

Me: “You mean the one that takes place during my break? Yeah, I’m prepared.”

He thought on my last comment for a while, but I ended up going to the meeting anyway. A few days later, he told me that he had had a word with [Coworker] and told her to stop interfering. She was fuming; apparently, she has been complaining about me almost daily and this was the turning point. He refused to hear any complaining unless she took it up with Human Resources, which she never did.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!