Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Interesting Exchange

, , , , , , | Working | February 9, 2018

(I work in a call center that provides website hosting and technical support for several large companies. Our service also includes domain-based email hosting. We keep a password on file for each customer that they must give us if they want to make changes to their accounts, including server settings. I’m standing around shooting the breeze with one of my coworkers and one of the floor managers.)

Coworker: “If [Customer] calls from [Domain], tell him I’ve gone home.”

Floor Manager: “Is that the guy that keeps calling because his MX records keep getting changed back from Microsoft exchange?”

Coworker: “Yeah. Someone keeps going in and changing them back. It’s like the third time he’s called about it. Now the other guy has changed the password, and the first guy keeps calling in to try and verify that he’s the account holder.”

Me: “I think I remember that domain. Actually, I think I’m the one that changed it back from Microsoft exchange for the guy.”

Floor Manager: “Yeah, and then he called back wondering why his exchange stopped working, so I changed it back for him. I told him that this can’t happen on its own; somebody is going in and changing it back, so he needs to change the password. Then, not ten minutes after, the other guy called in wondering why his email stopped working and why he couldn’t get into his account.”

Me: “So, we’ve basically got two guys in a pissing match with each other for a company website mail exchange that they both think they should be managing, and neither of them knows who the other is?”

Floor Manager: “Yep.”

Me: “I love my job.”

(Also, the guy that got locked out of the site has told my coworker he’s going to sue him because he got into a car accident while on the phone with him.)


This story is part of our I Love My Job roundup!

Read the next story in this roundup!

Read the I Love My Job roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!