Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Explosive Argument

, , , , , , | Right | March 18, 2024

I work in a grocery store that sells propane tanks. On the cage itself, in big letters, it advises customers to leave their tank either in their car or outside and DO NOT bring it into the store (because explosive). Unfortunately, our propane cage is on the far side of the outside and a bit out of the way, so a lot of people don’t actually SEE the sign until I help with the exchange. It leads to a lot of people dragging their highly explosive tanks inside the store with them.

Most people are understanding when I explain the rules and ask them to please take their tank outside, even just set it outside the door and come back to pay, but sometimes people get a bit difficult.

One night, I’m working, and a young man (late twenties if I had to guess) comes in to do an exchange, dragging his tank inside with him.

Me: “Oh, sorry, sir, but for safety reasons, we don’t allow the propane tanks inside. You could just leave it out the door for a moment, if you’d like?”

Apparently, this is the wrong thing to ask, because the man proceeds to glare at me.

Customer: “Now listen here, missy. I know all about tanks like this. They aren’t dangerous! That’s just propaganda! Now, oxygen tanks! Those’ll kill you dead. Worked with those for a while. Explode at the drop of a hat. But these bad boys?” *Smacks his tank* “Nah, they’re not dangerous.”

Me: “…well, regardless, our store has rules about them being inside. Can you please take it outside so we can finish the transaction?

The man sighs heavily and drags his tank outside. I just look at my manager in shock.

Me: “I don’t particularly care how much experience he has. Leave your explode-y tank outside, for f***s sake. I don’t care what’s in it!” 

Thankfully, there was no further incident. Though I did get treated to another lecture about how “not dangerous” propane tanks really were when I had to go out and do the exchange for him — in front of the big 5×4 sign on the cages indicating the various dangers.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!