Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Patient Is More Than The Sum Of Their (Reproductive) Parts

, , , , , , | Healthy | December 3, 2023

I had been having stomach pains for a few days. At first, I thought it was something I ate, so I took some Pepto Bismol. On day three, my stomach was cramping so much I could barely stand. I called out of work and laid in bed wondering what I had eaten. I tried all kinds of stomach-coating medication, hot compress, warm bath, massage… but nothing was working.

By day five, I couldn’t even walk, so my husband drove me to the emergency room.

Me: “I’ve been having pains right here—” *gestures below my rib cage* “—for the past three or four days. It hurts so bad I can barely eat or move or even breathe. I’ve done Pepto, heating pads, hot baths, and massaging the area. Nothing has helped.”

Doctor #1: *Without even touching me* “It’s just PMS. Take some Midol and a heating pad, and you’ll be fine.”

Me: “I don’t think so. I’ve tried that, and it’s not the right time of the month. Also, my uterus is not right under my ribcage.”

Doctor #1: “Pain manifests in funny ways. You’re probably just having a heavy flow. You’re only twenty-six; your body wants a baby.”

Me: “Okay, I would like a female doctor.”

[Doctor #1] rolls his eyes and walks away. I sit in the room for six hours before a woman, [Doctor #2], comes in.

Doctor #2: “Hi. Having some cramps?”

Me: “Not the lady kind.”

I point to where the pain is and retell my tale.

Doctor #2: “Okay, let’s see what’s going on.”

She gives me an exam, pressing on various points in my stomach while we talk about how I had been treating the issue at home. When she gets to the part that hurts, I curl up.

Doctor #2: “Okay, honey. I am going to get you on some IV fluids and get some pain meds and a heating pad ordered. We’re going to do an ultrasound as soon as possible. I have some ideas, but I don’t want to jump into anything right now.”

Me: “Thank you.”

And they gave me the GOOD meds. I felt better almost immediately.

The ultrasound shortly thereafter revealed that I had a substantial bowel blockage putting pressure on the lower side of my stomach and pushing it up into my lungs. Two enemas and four days of laxatives later, I was back to normal and feeling QUITE thin.

After I recovered, I contacted the hospital and told them what [Doctor #1] told me and how he acted as if my uterus was my only body part worth considering. They told me an investigation would be opened, but I never heard anything else about it.

I am thankful that [Doctor #2] came along when she did and actually listened to my issues.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!