Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Frustrating Facebook Fiasco

, , , , , , , , | Working | August 21, 2023

I recently left a job that experienced serious job drift in the three years I was there; I went from working in manufacturing to being their entire marketing department. I could go on about it for ages, but the topic today is their Facebook page and what happened when I quit. This page was the one social media presence I DIDN’T create for them, because they already had it. They barely used it, but they had it.

When I first started doing marketing for them, the head sales guy who had ownership of the page put me on it as an admin and all was well. Until I quit. Upon quitting, I went in to take myself off the Facebook page but could not find a way to do it. I’m not sure if it was some sort of glitch or I didn’t have the right permissions or what, but there was zero evidence on the backend that I could find that I actually even HAD access to this page, and yet I did.

I texted my old supervisor to let him know.

Me: “Hey, I still have access to the Facebook page, and I’m still getting notifications for it. I can’t seem to take myself off of it, either. Can you get that fixed?”

Supervisor: “Sure. I’ll look into it.”

A week passed, and I was still getting notifications. I tried again to find a way to get myself off of it but had no luck. So, I texted my supervisor again.

Me: “Hey, [Supervisor], I’m still on the Facebook page somehow. Have you had a chance to look into that?”

Supervisor: “I don’t know what you’re talking about; you don’t have access.”

He included a photo of his screen showing the only admins on the page, which did not include me, and I sent one back proving that I did indeed still have access. 

Me: “Look, there’s clearly something wonky here that is outside the norm. This is an issue that needs to be escalated by contacting Facebook. As I no longer work for the company, you need to handle it. If I end up being the one to have to handle it, I will have to send an invoice for my time.”

Supervisor: “Don’t you dare threaten me. As far as I’m concerned YOU’RE the one with unauthorized access to our company property. Fix it, and don’t contact me ever again.”

Me: “Dude. I’m not threatening you. I’m telling you that I don’t have time to be chasing up a bug on the Facebook page of a company I no longer work for. It’s your page; it’s on you to figure it out. And I didn’t hack back into the d*** thing to get access or something; I always had access. I don’t want access anymore. I cannot seem to remove my access, so you need to since you are still with the company.”

He didn’t respond. I sent an email to HIS supervisor, who has also not responded.

Weeks have passed. I still have access to the page. The urge to change the icon and banner to childish drawings grows stronger every day.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!