Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

White Privilege Is Screwed Up

, , , , , , | Right | July 27, 2022

In 2004, my grad school sent me to a conference, along with a couple of other grad students. We were going through security for our return flight when my carry-on bag got flagged for a search. I couldn’t figure out why until the agent opened the bag and pulled out a mini screwdriver set.

Agent: “What’s this?”

Me: “Oh, shoot, sorry about that. It’s a set of small screwdrivers. I was at a conference, and it was a freebie at the vendor fair.”

Agent: “You’re not allowed to bring this on the plane.”

Me: “Yeah, I forgot I had it. That’s okay. It was free anyway. I don’t need to keep it.”

Agent: “Do you need these screwdrivers to fix your glasses?”

Me: “What? No, they were just a giveaway. I don’t really need them at all.”

I actually do wear glasses, but at the time, I was wearing contacts.

Agent: “I’m not sure you understand.” *Starts nodding as he speaks* “Do you need these to fix your glasses?”

His nodding was an obvious signal that he wanted me to say yes.

Me: “Yes?”

Agent: “Then there’s nothing I can do about it.”

He put the screwdriver set back in my bag and zipped it closed.

Agent: “Have a good flight.”

I left the security area, and then I saw that one of my fellow grad students was watching the scene in amazement. He’s Muslim.

Muslim Grad Student: “Dude. That would never happen to me.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!