Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When You DON’T Want The Juicy Details

, , , , | Right | July 28, 2020

I am twenty, working as a cashier. It is early in the morning when things are slow. This is usually when the elderly shoppers come in because they like to have the time to chat with the cashiers. I have grown accustomed to this and often engage in friendly chat with them.

Looking up from my previous customer, I see that the next one in line is an elderly gentleman.

Me: “Good morning, sir!”

I started scanning his products.

Customer: “Good morning, dearie. I have cancer!”

Me: “Oh, dear, I’m so sorry to hear that.”

I’m blanking; what just happened? Did he really just say this?

Customer: “…”

Me: “Well, uh, what kind of cancer?”

I am sensing he wants to talk about it as he is looking at me expectantly.

Customer: “Oh, well, it’s taken over almost all of my kidney and the doctors want to remove it completely, but I don’t want them to take my kidney! I need two!”

Me: “Oh, actually, you only need—”

Customer: “—so that is why I asked my son to teach me how to use ‘the Google’ and you will not believe what I found! Pomegranate juice cures cancer!”

Me: “Um… well… I don’t know about that… Wouldn’t everyone know about that, then?”

I am not equipped for these types of conversations! The customer completely glosses over my expressed doubts.

Customer: “So, how much do I owe you, dearie?”

I look at what I have been scanning and see over eight bottles of pomegranate juice.

Me: “Your total is €28.96.”

Customer: “Here you go. Have a lovely day; you are a sweetheart.”

He left with a big smile on his face. I took a break after that to deal with my heart that had been shattered into a million pieces.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!