Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

When 105% Isn’t Enough

, , , , , | Related | September 25, 2019

(When I’m growing up, my dad is very strict about the grades I receive in school. He always wants to see what I get on my tests and homework, and frequently belittles me if they aren’t to his standards. During high school, I receive the highest score out of the entire class on an exam that is worth a decent portion of our grade. I get 100% on the exam, plus 5 extra credit points. My teacher even praises me on how well I did because the average of the rest of the class is a C. Elated, I can’t wait to show my dad how well I did. This is what happens when he gets home from work.)

Dad: “Did you get your exam back yet?”

Me: *beaming* “Yes!” *hands him my exam* “I got the highest score in the whole class!”

Dad: *barely glances at it* “Anything you could have done better?”

Me: “I… I got 100 %. Plus all of the extra credit, so actually 105%. There was nothing more I could have done. Most of the class only got Cs. A few got Bs. I’m the only one who got everything correct.”

Dad: “Well, I’m sure there was something you could have done better.”

Me: “But I got the highest grade! I thought you’d be proud of me.”

(He just walked away from me and I was crushed. He completely broke my spirit and unfortunately, I pretty much gave up on trying so hard in my classes anymore because I figured that if I was going to get the same response from him no matter what grade I got, it wasn’t worth it anymore.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!