Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not What “Two Become One” Means

, , , , | Related | September 25, 2019

(While I like my sister’s husband, ever since they got together, it seems they’ve melded into one person. If I ask her to do something — shopping, the movies, pampering, etc — she either replies that her husband is unavailable or he just doesn’t want to do what I’ve suggested. I’ve even asked if she wants to have a GIRL’S DAY but I get the same answer. I’ve brought this to her attention several times but she brushes me off, saying I’m exaggerating. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me resent them a little bit.)

Husband: “[Sister] likes chicken parmesan, right?”

Me: “Yeah.”

Husband: “Are you gonna invite her over?”

Me: “I can try but if [Her Husband] isn’t free she’s just going to say no.”

Husband: “She can’t come over without him?”

Me: “Every time I ask her to do something, it has to be with him or not at all. I don’t know if that’s how she wants it or if he’s that controlling or what.”

Husband: “Oh.”

Me: “I’ll call her.”

(I call her on speaker.) 

Sister: “Hello?”

Me: “Hey, [Sister], what are you doing tonight?”

Sister: “Um, nothing as far as I know. [Her Husband] is in [Another City] for a few days.”

Husband: “Wanna come over for dinner? We’re making chicken parmesan!”

Sister: “Oh. Um. I don’t know.”

Me: “Come over; you won’t have to cook.”

Sister: “Well, [Her Husband] is supposed to call in a few hours and I should be home.”

Me: “You can’t take his call here or call him back later?”

Sister: “I just think it would be better if I’m home when he calls.”

Me: “Fine. I’ll talk to you later.”

Sister: “Are you mad?”

Me: “Forget it. Bye.” *hangs up*

Husband: *jokingly* “Maybe she just doesn’t want to hang out with you.”

Me: “Shut up. Maybe it’s you.”

Husband: *shrug*

(We went on with our evening. Like everyone else our age, we took pictures of our food and posted them on social media. A few friends liked it, a few commented. My sister commented, asking if we would pack up some leftovers and drop them off for her and her husband. No, there were no leftovers.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!