Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

What’s A Little Lack Of Security Between “Friends”?

, , , , , | Working | May 25, 2022

I’m depositing a large check into my account. I do all my banking online through the bank’s app. However, the mobile deposit function won’t take my check due to the amount, so I go into a physical branch. I’ve never been to this particular location. Please note that I worked in a bank right out of college, so I have some knowledge of holds and funds availability regulations.

Teller: “What can I help you with today?”

Me: “Just a deposit, please. And I understand that you will need to put a hold on the funds. No worries. I can wait seven business days to spend it.”

I hand over the check and deposit slip.

Me: “Oh, shoot. You’ll want my ID. Hang on.”

I dig through my purse, pull it out, and attempt to hand it to the teller. She waves me off and starts typing.

Teller: “No need. I know you.”

Me: “You do?”

Teller: “Sure I do. You’re in here all the time.”

Me: “No, I’m not.”

Teller: “Of course you are. Since I know you, I don’t need your ID, and we won’t put a hold on the check.”

Me: “Okay, hold on. I opened this account online and do my banking through the app. I’ve never seen you, and you’ve never seen me. I am asking you to check my ID and verify that this money is actually going into my account.”

Teller: “But we know you!”

Me: “No, you don’t. CHECK MY ID.”

The teller takes my ID with an eye-roll, glances at it, and hands it back.

Teller: “All set. Here’s your receipt.”

She hands me the receipt.

Me: “Does this show up in online banking immediately?”

Teller: “Yes.”

Me: “Great. Let me check that before I leave.”

I pulled up the app on my phone, and surprisingly, the money had actually made it into my account. I didn’t go back to that branch.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!