Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Scariest People This Halloween Aren’t The Ones In Costume

, , , , , , , | Right | October 31, 2023

It is late October in our large retail store. One of my coworkers at the checkout is a Muslim woman, and she wears a headscarf as part of her religion. She is a white woman, or very white-passing. She is serving another white woman customer.

Customer: “Is this some kind of Halloween thing?”

Coworker: “Is what, ma’am?”

Customer: “The head thing? You dressing up as a terrorist for Halloween?”

Coworker: “This is part of my religion, ma’am.”

Customer: “But you’re white!”

My coworker has pressed the silent button to call over a manager, who has just arrived. Our manager is a dark-skinned woman.

Manager: “Is everything okay over here?”

Customer: “I guess you’re a Muslim, too?”

Manager: “I’m under no obligation to tell you that, ma’am, but I am happy to tell you that I am an atheist.”

Customer: “Well… I guess no God is better than a false God.”

Manager: *Putting two and two together* “Ma’am, please leave.”

Customer: “What?! Why?”

Manager: “Our staff are offered a hate-free environment when they work for [Store], and that includes freedom to practise their religion. Please take your bigoted views elsewhere.” 

Customer:What?! I can’t be a bigot! I’m a Christian!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!