Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Littlest Things That Bring The Biggest Smiles

, , , , , | Right | July 4, 2023

It is the morning of July Fourth, and I am serving breakfast in my little diner before closing up at midday. A regular comes in with her little boy. He is about seven and has some behavioral issues but is an absolutely wonderful little character. He usually comes in on a Saturday morning with his mom and always orders the exact same pancakes.

I am taking their order.

Me: “Good morning, [Boy’s Name]! I’m so happy to see you for breakfast today! Normally I only see you on the weekends!”

Boy: “Yes because today is a holiday and on holidays school is closed.”

Me: “I see! What will you be doing today?”

Boy: “I will be eating pancakes and then after pancakes I will…”

He suddenly looks a little mischievous, which is an amazing thing as one of the things his parents are trying to work on with him are getting him to realize his emotions more.

Me: “And after that, you will…”

Boy: “…eat more pancakes!”

I giggle and look at his mom.

Mother: “I guess that’s his way of saying he’d like double pancakes!”

Me: “Well since it’s a holiday, double pancakes it is!”

This might seem like a nothing story to some, but after several years of seeing this boy go from mute, not emoting, and only ordering the same thing over and over because a change in routine could cause a major upset, to suddenly conversing, smiling, and being cheeky and ordering a double portion, it put a smile on my face the entire day!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!