Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Taking In The Tutoring Time Is A Terribly Tough Task

, , , , , | Learning | January 15, 2024

I work with tutors. [Client]’s daughter’s course switched from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm early on in October. It’s a bit inconvenient for [Client], but we only have one teacher for this course who just can’t start any earlier. [Client] was informed in September and given the offer to reschedule to another day at 2:00 pm, leave the contract early without a cancellation fee, or accept the new time. He chose the new time.

Every Thursday morning, I either get a phone call or a message from [Client].

Client: “When does [Child]’s course start?”

Me: “[Child]’s course is every Thursday at 3:00 pm. Our courses take place every week unless it’s a public holiday or [easy-to-remember condition].”

Client: “Okay, we’ll be there.”

It is now the second week of November. Today, again, [Client] tried to drop [Child] off at 2:00 pm. When reminded of the correct time slot, he got angry.

Client: “[Boss] never told us this was permanent! It was supposed a one-time thing because the teacher was sick and the substitute was only available at 3:00!”

This is easily proven false since we send out all changes in writing, even if we’ve spoken on the phone. I tell him the date we wrote to him that we had a substitute for the day and the date when he was informed of the permanent time change — thirteen days apart.

Client: “Well, I still didn’t know this was permanent! It’s inconvenient because if it started at 2:00, I could carpool with [Client #2].”

I listen and express regret about the inconvenience. Then, even though it hurts my soul, I apologise for the mix-up. I’m doing this because this is his sixth year as our client, [Child] is the third child this family has enrolled, the kids are super well-behaved and low-maintenance, and I alone have enrolled four new families due to their word-of-mouth recommendation — a high number as we have really slow turnover.

As soon as I start commiserating, everything is fine. If I skip the part where I show him the evidence, he’ll demand the non-existent 2:00 pm slot, but if I justify myself first and apologise then, it does the trick.

Client: “Oh, so it’s every Thursday at 3:00 pm? It’s inconvenient, but that’s all right, then. [Child]’ll be back at 3:00!”

See you next week, for the same song and dance!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!