Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Sabotage By Numbers

, , , , , | Right | December 22, 2010

(We have a rewards program that mails out free coupons for shopping. We need to verify each customer’s account in order for them to earn their coupons. There are two customers in my line, one young woman, and behind her one middle-aged woman.)

Me: “Do you receive your coupons?”

Customer #1: “Yeah, I think so.”

Me: “All right, what’s your phone number?”

Customer #1: “Oh, it’s–”

Customer #2: “You don’t have to give that, you know.”

([Customer #1] looks confused.)

Me: “Well, we need to look you up so that you get credit for the purchase and get your discounts. I can look it up by mail or email if you’d prefer. Which do you get?”

Customer #1: “I get–”

Customer #2: “Nope. Don’t do it. That’s how they find you. They find your PIN numbers and bra size that way.”

Customer #1: “I… um.”

Me: “We don’t need your bra size.”

Customer #1: “Well, let’s just skip it. I can’t remember what I get. It’s fine.”

(I finish the transaction and [Customer #2] approaches.)

Me: “So, I’m guessing you don’t get coupons, either.”

Customer #2: “Of course I do. I just didn’t want her to use them all before I got here. And I’m a 34B.”


This story is part of our customer conspiracy theorists roundup!

Read the next customer conspiracy theorists roundup story!

Read the customer conspiracy theorists roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!