Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Reading Into The Gradual Lack Of Reading In This Country

, , , , | Right | September 11, 2018

(I volunteer at a small independent film theater in my city. We are showing a John LeCarre spy thriller).

Woman: *comes out shortly after movie starts* “I’M IN THE WRONG MOVIE! THIS IS JUST SOME COUPLE IN A CAR TALKING IN SOME FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND IT HAS SUBTITLES! THIS ISN’T THE MOVIE I CAME TO SEE!”

(An employee and I go in and check the theater, reading the opening credits; they are consistent with the movie poster in the lobby. As we walk out, the couple in the movie are shot and killed by a border guard.)

Me: “Ma’am, this is the correct movie. The credits are the same as the movie poster, so it’s the right movie and the couple in the car just got killed, so they’re gone.”

Woman: “Well, all right, but I JUST CAN’T DO SUBTITLES! IT’S TOO HARD!”

(She went back into the theater. Twenty minutes later she came out again and stalked out of the exit. I guess there were more subtitles.)


This story is part of the Scared-Of-Subtitles roundup!

Read the next Scared-Of-Subtitles roundup story!

Read the Scared-Of-Subtitles roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!