Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Pull Up Your Socks And Wine About It

, , , , , , | Right | September 29, 2023

I work in a store that sells almost nothing but wine and wine-related items (bottle openers, some wine books, etc.) but nothing else. A customer walks up to my counter and puts down a pack of novelty socks.

Customer: “I want to return these.”

Me: “Uh… this is a wine store, sir.”

Customer: “Yes, and I want to return these.”

Me: “We don’t sell socks.”

Customer: “My wife bought these here and she didn’t like them, so I’m returning them.”

I hopelessly check the socks to make sure they’re not some wine-themed gift thing we might have sold and I didn’t notice, but nope. They’re just regular socks.

Me: “Sir, we don’t sell socks. I can’t refund an item we didn’t sell.”

Customer: *Sighs and tuts* “Get me your manager.”

The manager is summoned, and he tries the refund spiel all over again.

Manager: “Sir, please, look to your left. Take in that entire wall. What do you see?”

Customer: “Wine.”

Manager: “Now, please humor me here and look to your right. Take in that entire wall. What do you see?”

Customer: “Wine.”

Manager: “Good. We are in agreement. Is there anywhere in our store, anywhere at all, that looks like we might sell or refund socks?”

Customer: “Look, both my wife and my GPS told me to come here, and they can’t both be wrong.”

Manager: “Our 10,000 bottles of wine trump your wife.”

Customer: *Finally leaving, muttering angrily* “Pretty sure my wife can beat 10,000 bottles of wine.”

Yay for alcoholism?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!