Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

People Who Have To Say They Are Fancy Aren’t

, , , , | Right | October 29, 2017

(I go to a popular coffee chain about once a week that has different sizing than the conventional small, medium, and large. I always order a “tall” drink but can never bring myself to say “tall,” because I think it is rather unnecessary. I always just say “small” when I order, since they mean the same thing. The baristas know what I mean and never say anything about it. However, one day, another customer who is behind me in line has a problem with it.)

Me: “Can I please have a small [drink]?”

Barista: “Sure. Name, plea—”

Customer: *practically screaming* It’s ‘tall,’ not ‘small!’ Order it right!”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Customer: “I come here because it is fancier than other coffee places, and you need to order it right or it’s not fancy! You’re ruining it for me. IT’S ‘TALL’, NOT ‘SMALL!’ SAY IT RIGHT or GET OUT!”

(Both the barista and I are in shock, but I just do what the customer is asking because she is scaring me with her tone.)

Me: “Uh, okay. Can I have a tall [drink]?”

Barista: “Uh, yeah, sure. Uh, name, please?”

(I gave her my name and paid, and as I headed over to the waiting area I heard the other customer muttering under her breath about “trash coming into her fancy coffee shop.” When the barista handed me my drink she gave me an apologetic look. Still not sure why the customer cared so much, as calling the drink something different won’t change how it tastes.)


This story is part of the Coffee Shop roundup!

Read the next Coffee Shop roundup story!

Read the Coffee Shop roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!