Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Nothin’ I Can Say, A Total Eclipse Of The Sun

, , , , , , | Friendly | November 1, 2023

For years, my best friend and I planned to go see the 2017 solar eclipse that was visible over a large portion of North America. She came up with the idea, and without her persistence, it wouldn’t have happened. She planned out the route from where we live to the path of totality, booked accommodations, and even bought packages of eclipse glasses for my family of five and her family of four. (We paid her back.)

We camped in Yellowstone National Park, and on the morning of the eclipse, we drove a half-hour south into the Grand Tetons National Park to view the eclipse in totality.

We found a little viewpoint parking lot manned by a park ranger. After a short time, we were joined by another family and a man on a motorcycle laden with camping gear. The man walked over to the park ranger.

Man: “So… I’m sure this sounds weird, but I’ve been camping in the backcountry for weeks with no radio or cell service or anything, and… um, is there an eclipse happening today?”

Park Ranger: “Yes, in about a half-hour.”

Man: “That explains… a lot. Do you happen to have eclipse glasses or anything I can buy from you to view it safely?”

Park Ranger: “I’m sorry, no; we weren’t given any supplies. I only brought a pair for myself.”

Best Friend: “I bought a five-pack of glasses, and there are only four in my family. Here, take the extra.”

Man: *Pulling out his wallet* “How much do I owe you?”

Best Friend: “Nothing! It’s extra anyway.”

Man: “Are you sure?”

Best Friend: “I’m not going to let you pay me anything for cardboard eclipse sunglasses that I’m not going to be able to use for years, at best.”

Man: “I have cash—”

Best Friend: “Just take them and be able to see the eclipse! There’s not even going to be another eclipse visible in this country until 2024. I really don’t want any money; I just want you to be able to enjoy the eclipse.”

The man finally accepted the free glasses. The eclipse was breathtaking, and thanks to my best friend, everyone got to watch safely.


This story is part of the Eclipse roundup!

Read the next roundup story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!