Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Nobody Likes To Be Left In The Weeds

, , , , , , | Working | October 24, 2023

I work in an Indian cuisine restaurant. [Coworker #1] is a bit of a stoner, though she works fast and well… when she actually comes to work. I am scheduled with her and [Coworker #2] one night. I arrive at work at 5:00 to start setting up expo, making sure the bar is stocked and ready, and finishing any cleaning that wasn’t done at lunch.

I’m getting annoyed, since [Coworker #1] and [Coworker #2] still haven’t shown up; they live together, so they carpool. I’ve done all the set-up, but I’ve got no one in for the dinner rush. So far, it’s just a couple of takeout orders, so it’s no big deal.  

The clock ticks, and suddenly, it’s 6:00. What was just a few orders has climbed exponentially. People are showing up to be sat and I’m scrambling like a madwoman.

The sous-chef calls me over to the pass.

Sous-Chef: “Hey, [My Name], who’s working with you today?” 

I tell him. He swears in Spanish and goes to find the chef. 

[Chef] comes barrelling out of the kitchen two seconds later, looking around.

Chef: “Where are [Coworker #1] and [Coworker #2]?”

Me: “I have no clue.”

More swearing. He then thunders into the back.

About half an hour later, the lunch manager shows up, looking frazzled. Now, this guy is awesome, and I love working with him because he gets things done. The restaurant has filled up at this point. I have five takeout orders on the pass and more people trying to flag me down with their orders.

Not even stopping to change into his work shirt, [Lunch Manager] barrels in and starts taking orders and pouring drinks while I try to catch up.

A woman and her husband walked in a couple minutes before [Lunch Manager] showed up, and they are glaring at me, tapping their feet. They have menus and water, and I check with them when [Lunch Manager] gets there to see if they need anything.

Woman: “No, we’re still looking at the menu, but you could get us some naan while we figure it out.”

I punch in a naan, and literally the second it comes up to the window and I’m walking it to their table, they get up.  

Woman: “We’re leaving. We didn’t get any SERVICE!”

Now, I have to void their order. Sigh. 

[Lunch Manager] looks at them calmly as they leave and then turns to me and shakes his head. 

Lunch Manager: “They sat for five minutes with a menu and then left after telling you to get them naan. There are people who have waited longer and are behaving better. If the evening manager gives you any trouble, have her talk to me.”

He then voided the couple’s order, and I got a free snack out of it. I swear, restaurants bring out the worst in people. Oh, and [Coworker #1] AND [Coworker #2] were let go due to this being the last in a string of no-call/no-shows. Looks like we’ll be hiring again.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!