Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Just Scrub This Interaction From Your Memory

, , , , , | Working | CREDIT: demoninthestacks | October 14, 2022

The floors in the store where I work frequently get pretty dirty because, well, there are a lot of customers coming in and out, especially at the time this story happens.

I’m doing some back stock when the Manager On Duty comes up to me.

MOD: “Hey, [Store Manager] wants you to scrub produce and the register area.”

Keep in mind, our scrubber is a behemoth, loud, and can be difficult to maneuver — not the best equipment to pull out at 5:00 pm on a Monday. Also, there are lines eight to ten people deep at both open registers. I point this out to the MOD and she just shrugs.

MOD: “Just get it done.”

Okay, then. I pull out the scrubber and happen to get a lucky break. Produce is empty so it only takes me a couple of minutes. Now the registers. Still crowded. I take the scrubber around the empty registers, feeling the glare of customers on my back (whether because of the noise or the wait, I don’t know, nor do I care).

Now I’m left with the two jam-packed registers. There’s no way I can ask people to wait a moment to let me through; they’re already pissed. I can see the manager coming, gesturing at me to get it done, so I do the most efficient thing I can think of. I go to the back of the line, shut down the scrubber, and wait. And wait and wait and wait. Customers are lining up behind me and the cashiers are holding back a laugh as I creep closer. Finally, I’m next, and I run the scrubber through the registers. (Thankfully, the line on the second register clears just as I am finishing the first.) All done!

I take the scrubber back to the back room, and I have just started to empty it when the store manager comes storming in.

Store Manager: “Why did that take you so long? Scrubbing is supposed to go quickly! We’re too busy for you to be standing around.”

Me: “You wanted me to scrub the registers, but the registers were packed. I told [MOD] that it would take a while.”

Store Manager: “You weren’t scrubbing; you were just standing in line!”

Me: “Yup. That was the best way to get through the line.”

The store manager and I had a stare-down for a few seconds before she threw her hands up and walked away.

I’ve never been asked to scrub the registers during peak times again.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!