Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s Going To Be A Long Game

, , , , , | Right | June 8, 2018

(This story takes place on a Sunday in Texas, where the state law forbids stores from selling any form of alcohol before noon on Sunday. I am running the register around 10:30 am when I see a group of 20- to 25-year-old guys approaching with a few cases of beer, coolers, and the related.)

Me: *without even touching the beer* “I’m sorry, but I cannot sell you that right now.”

Customer #1: “Why not?! We’re all of age!”

Me: “State law prevents us from selling alcohol be—”

Customer #2: *shoving his ID in my face* “But we are all of age!”

Me: “Age is no issue; it’s before noon on a Sunday, and sta—”

Customer #1: “What the f***?! Just ring us up already!”

Me: “If I could, I would. However, sta—”

Customer #3: “Just get your manager if you’re too young to sell it, then!”

Me: “I am 22 years old, but it makes no difference. I cannot sell you beer be—”

(All of them start to try to make a scene. Giving up and trying a different route, I try to scan one of the cases of beer, knowing that the register will block it.)

Register: “SALE PROHIBITED 1:00 AM TO 12:00 PM SUNDAYS.”

Customer #1: “FINALLY YOU LISTEN TO ME!”

Me: “No, sir. I scanned one of them to show you that I cannot sell it. Please re—”

Customer #1: *rattles off his birthday without showing me his ID*

Me: “I’m not asking for your age. Please re—”

Customer #2: “F*** this! We’ll just get it from down the road!”

Me: “Good lu—”

Customer #1: “F*** YOU!”

(The group leaves, dropping one of the cases on the counter, causing it to explode and spray EVERYWHERE, including on me, before running off. With a sigh, I start to get some paper towels only to have a manager that saw everything approach.)

Manager: *as he’s helping me clean* “Today the Cowboys and Texans are playing, just to let you know… and it’s a noon game.”

Me: “Crap, that means we’re going to be going through this all morning.”

Manager: “You want to take a break? I’ll clean this up and we’ll mark down some new clothes so you don’t smell like beer all day.”

(Sure enough, during the 90 minutes from this ordeal to noon, I had similar encounters turning away about five or more people wanting to get drinks for their game day parties and gatherings. Thankfully, nothing near as bad as that first group.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!