Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If They’re So Tough, Call Their Bluff!

, , , , , | Right | January 10, 2024

I am managing a liquor store and am one of three staff at the checkout on Christmas Eve. Lines are right around the store, almost back out the door. People walk in, see the line, and consider leaving, but I call out:

Me: “Heya! Just saying, it’s gonna be very busy everywhere, and we’ve been getting through the line fairly quickly.”

Most people are patient, and the three of us staff just have our heads down scanning, packing, and getting through it. I have just finished with one customer and called out for the next, but they don’t hear me, so I call again.

A woman who was close to the checkout but not in line sees her chance, grabs a couple of bottles, and gets to the checkout a second before the customer who was next.

Me: “Sorry, ma’am, this gentleman was next. If you get in the line, we will get to you as quickly as we can.”

Customer: “I’ve been here long enough already.”

Me: “We are very busy; perhaps you should have gotten in line sooner.”

Customer: “Perhaps I will shop somewhere else!”

Me: “Not a problem, ma’am. You have a great Christmas.”

I gave her a big smile, grabbed the bottles, placed them on the bench behind me, said hello to the next customer, put my head down, and began scanning his items.

She stood there for a moment before walking off. Unfortunately, I only got that initial look at her face, but after she left, the other customer burst out laughing and told me, “Nice job, mate.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!