Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

If That’s All It Takes To Ruin Your Day, You Have PROBLEMS

, , , , , , | Right | CREDIT: Available_Range_1923 | May 13, 2024

I work in a hotel. One night, as I’m coming into my Audit shift, one of my supervisors pulls me to the back office to tell me about a bizarre review she got the other day. She wants my opinion on it.

I am nonbinary, and I had it cleared with my front office manager, both my supervisors, and our general manager to wear tasteful collar pins with my preferred pronouns (they/them) while working at the desk. (I have a personal vendetta with our newest Human Resources person, so she’s not my biggest fan.) Now, it is very important to mention that I never correct anyone on my identifiers; I only wear them for my own peace of mind. Even when guests point them out and compliment them, I simply say, “Thank you, I appreciate that,” and move on.

Well, I guess one guest got a little miffed about them, and it just ruined their stay so badly that they had to leave a review about it.

According to the wonderful guest, they called the desk at night to complain that their thermostat was offline and not allowing them to adjust it, and they were very uncomfortable that they had to call the desk to adjust it for them. (We have access to most thermostats online and can control the temperature remotely.)

According to the guest, the front desk person was “useless” because “all they cared about was getting their pronouns correct”.

At least they used my correct pronouns, but GENUINELY, I am so confused, as I don’t remember ever having an interaction with a guest like that! I was gone for almost a week, as well, so I have no idea who this could have been.

I find it incredibly funny that the way people perceive me has caused such turmoil that I caused an entire vacation to be ruined! I’m the only openly trans person at the desk, so it was safe to assume the review was about me.

My supervisor and I laughed about it, and she informed me that she had a very difficult time responding nicely to them.

I love my team and their support!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!