Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Help Me, Obi-Wash Car-nobi! You’re My Only Hope!

, , , , , | Friendly | February 26, 2024

An innocuous encounter reminded me of an incident a few years back. Having filled my car up with fuel, on the spur of the moment, I decided to wash it, also. (We’d had some bad weather, but a period of nice weather was now predicted, and it was filthy.)

The automatic car wash was out of order, so I pulled into the bay for the self-service jet wash. I chose the cheapest option as I knew it gave me just enough time to give the car a basic wash, and off I started.

Midway through, I was approached by a lady who ignored the fact I was in the middle of washing my car and, holding out a piece of paper, asked me for directions. I politely asked her to wait a couple of minutes until my time ran out. I had to raise my voice a little as I hadn’t stopped my task and the jet wash was a bit noisy.

I certainly did not speak in anger, and I thought I smiled. But this lady obviously took it the wrong way and went off on me, shouting that I was rude, that there had been no reason for me to shout at her, that she was a lady in distress, etc. I was flabbergasted but, mindful of my time, I just kept going, intending to try and clarify my response once I was done — which would be in less than forty-five seconds now according to the large digital countdown clock.

Before I ran out of time, the lady finished her rant, and stomped off to her car, throwing a “Thanks for nothing” comment over her shoulder, and peeled out of the forecourt.

When I was done, I just stood there for a long moment trying to comprehend what had been going through that lady’s mind. If I’d stopped, I would have had a half-washed car, and I’m sure she wasn’t going to stump up for more time!

Doubly bizarre was that within ten metres was a full forecourt of other people who could have helped, as could the attendants in the station itself.

The incident that brought this to mind? I was approached again and asked a question today whilst washing my car at a different car wash. Before I could even reply, the lady realised and said, “Oh, sorry. It can wait until you’re finished.” And she did wait. Once done, I helped her, she said thanks, and off we both went on our way

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!