Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

He Came Barging In Like An Army Of Red Flags

, , , , | Romantic | March 15, 2024

I had a new boyfriend (dating for maybe a month) at my house for the first time. I went to the bathroom and sat down on the toilet, and a few seconds later, he opened the door. 

Me: “Uh, busy?”

Boyfriend: “Yeah, where is your phone charger?”

Me: “By the couch.”

I pushed the door closed. He opened it again. 

Boyfriend: “I didn’t see it.”

Me: “I will show you when I’m done. Please stop.”

Boyfriend: “What?”

Me: *Pushing the door* “Please don’t just barge into the bathroom.”

Boyfriend: *Holding the door open* “What? Are you pooping?”

Me: “Get out!”

I pushed the door shut and locked it right before he tried to open it again. 

Boyfriend: “You don’t need to be so angry. Everybody poops.”

I didn’t answer. When I stepped out, he was gone. Apparently, he had something to do and would call me later.

The next time he was over, I went to the bathroom, and again, he opened the door. 

Me: “What are you doing?”

Boyfriend: “I need the mirror.”

Me: “It can’t wait? I like bathroom time to be just me.”

Boyfriend: *In a mocking tone* “Okay, just for you, but you invited me over.”

Me: “Not to the bathroom! Get out!”

He stayed and even tried to talk to me while I was sitting on the toilet. I was furious. We were nowhere near the “no clothes” part of our relationship, but he had barged in on my bathroom time twice.

When I was done, I sat him down on the couch. 

Me: “Look. I understand that some people are comfortable with sharing their bathroom time, but I am not. If I am in there, please do not just come in.”

Boyfriend: “Why?”

Me: “Because I find it uncomfortable and frankly rude that you aren’t respecting my boundaries.”

Boyfriend: “Fine. If you’re so insecure, fine. I’ll just go.”

Me: “I think that’s best.”

Boyfriend: “What?”

Me: “I think that’s best. I told you I don’t like something, I told you why, and you continue to ignore me. Please go.”

He left… eventually. First, he locked himself in the bathroom for an hour and spent the whole time yelling through the door about how it wasn’t a big deal, but he left.

I don’t regret cutting him loose so early in the relationship. If he was willing to ignore my request for privacy in the bathroom, what else would he ignore?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!