Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Getting Sick Of Your Garlic

, , , , | Right | November 19, 2021

I work at a very popular grocery store that’s almost exclusively in Texas. I work in the curbside department where people get their orders shopped for them. I’m the main person on the phones. A call comes in and I answer.

Me: “Hi! [My Name] in curbside speaking; how can I help you?”

Caller: “Hi. I was calling because several items were either missing or spoiled. I called earlier, but I want to make sure my refund went through.”

Me: “All right! Let me check the refund book and I’ll let you know. Can I have your information?”

She gives me all the relevant information and I double-check everything.

Me: “All right, we have [various items] scheduled for a refund tonight. Does this sound right?”

She tells me a few more things are missing or messed up. I honestly don’t care because this happens every day, so I just record everything diligently and reaffirm it with her.

Caller: *After the confirmations* “Is it possible to pick up the garlic that was missing? I really need it.”

Me: “Of course! You can come whenever it is most convenient for you.”

Caller: “Well, there was also an item that they left off because it wasn’t ready at the time. Can I pick that up, as well?”

Me: “Hmm, well, we didn’t charge you for that item, so I’d have to check with my supervisor and make sure that’s okay.”

The only supervisor in the department is notorious for not really caring about customers, but he’s the highest authority in the department at the moment, so I ask him if it would be okay. He pretty much shuts me down and says that we can’t because she didn’t pay for it.

I reluctantly get back on the phone.

Me: “Unfortunately, my manager has told me we can’t provide that item as you weren’t charged for it.”

Cue the snarkiness and sarcasm.

Caller: “Wow. So, even though I’m being inconvenienced by having to drive back up there, you won’t provide this item for me?”

Me: “Uh, unfortunately, yes. The cost of the item far outweighs the cost of the garlic.”

Caller: “Well, I’m not asking for it for free! I have my card; you can just go inside and pay for me.”

Me: *Slightly panicked* “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I can’t take your credit card and make a purchase for you. You have to be physically present for that.”

Caller: “So, you’re telling me that if I want this item, I would have to pay the fee and wait four hours all over again?”

I am kind of confused because most people don’t have a problem with going in the store for any additional items they need.

Me: “Well, if you want us to deliver it through curbside, then yeah.”

Caller: “…”

Me: “…”

Caller: “Whatever. You have terrible customer service! I’ll be there to pick up my garlic. When will it be ready?”

Me: “It’ll be ready by the time you get here. Whenever is most convenient.”

Caller: “OH, SO YOU HAVE IT READY NOW? YOU’RE TELLING ME IT’S LITERALLY IN YOUR HANDS?”

Me: “No, but we’re located right next to the produce section, so it’ll take me about thirty seconds to grab it.”

Caller: “Whatever. It had better be ready when I get there.”

By the time the conversation was done, I was shaking in anger. I got her stupid garlic, only to be told she called back and said she no longer wanted it. THEN, she called our general manager and told them about my terrible customer service. Luckily, my supervisor was questioned about it and not me, but I was still pretty upset over the whole situation.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!