Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Entitlement Isn’t A Disorder But It Does Affect The Mental Health Of Others

, , , , , | Right | March 3, 2023

CONTENT WARNING: Eating Disorders

 

A woman comes in to buy a coffee, pays, goes and sits down with her drink, and takes out a book. No problem. A few other people start to come in to get English breakfasts and sit down to eat. I’d say we’re at about half capacity at this point.

The first woman looks around, slams her book shut, and comes up to the counter.

Customer: “Get rid of these. All of these. I can’t deal.”

Me: “Not sure what you mean. Get rid of what?”

Customer: “The people! The food!”

Her voice is rising in volume.

Customer: “All those fat slobs stuffing their faces is triggering my eating disorder!”

Me: “Please lower your voice. I can’t kick people out for eating food!”

Customer: “No, the thin ones are okay. I just can’t bear seeing fat people eating unhealthy food. I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to get rid of them.”

Me: “No.”

Customer: “Do you want me to starve myself and die?!

She doesn’t know, and I don’t tell her, but twenty years ago, I nearly died from anorexia. I really don’t want to be in this conversation anymore, especially since I’m overweight and she’s glaring at me like she’s about to give me grief for that, too.

Me: “Look, just go. If seeing people eat food is triggering, then maybe a coffee shop isn’t a good place for you? I’ll put your coffee in a to-go cup.”

Customer: “No, I’ve got a right to be here. You have to accommodate me, or else I’ll die.”

Thankfully, at this point, my manager came over and quietly told her to go before shopping centre security arrived because she was being offensive to other customers. And apparently, the threat of security was enough to get her to just leave. I left early that day, half shaken from the whole fatphobia thing and half shaking with rage that I didn’t have telekinesis that could have punted her out the door the instant she started up.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!