Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Entitled Brat? If The Shoe Fits…

, , , , , | Right | November 18, 2022

I work in the shoe department of a department store. It’s eight minutes past the time for me to go home. A customer is standing by the stockroom door, clearly waiting to be helped. My coworker assists her as I get ready to leave and heads off with a smile, making a little joke to the woman and laughing.

This coworker is busy grabbing shoes for two people now because it’s a busy Saturday and all employees have to take multiple customers at a time, or we wouldn’t be able to keep up.

Then, I hear a noise and recognize it instantly as the warning call (cough) of an entitled customer.

Customer: “Ha-hemmm.”

It’s the customer from before, still right outside the stockroom door. I ignore her. I, glorious thing of glorious things, am going home! The customer is being helped. I am in the back in a matter of seconds. She doesn’t need me. But I can hear her, and she can hear me. The rabid customer knows her prey is close.

Customer: *Clears her throat again* “Ha-HEMMMM.”

Figuring she is in desperate need of something at this point, I go outside with a smile, figuring I can always run and grab my coworker if she needs an additional shoe.

Me: “Hello! Did you need something?” 

Customer: “Yes, I would like to know what is going on!”

Me: *Blank-faced and innocent* “Going on with what?”

Customer:With my shoes! I gave someone a shoe to grab, and I want to know what’s going on!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, she’s grabbing your shoe now. She just got into the back, so give her a minute, and she’ll be back.”

I then go into the back, assuming that will be enough to pacify the woman who clearly wants special attention. Obviously, we all have stupid moments in life, and this is mine. From outside the stockroom door, I hear another coworker walk straight into the jowls of the customer, who instantly closes the trap.

Customer: *To [Coworker #2]*Excuuuuuse me! What is going on with my shoe?!”

[Coworker #2] has no idea what has been going on or that [Coworker #1] just got the shoe from this woman and it has been less than a minute.

Coworker #2: “Was someone helping you?”

Customer: “Yes, and I’d like to know what is going on!”

Coworker #2: “All right, let me find out for you.”

They walk into the back, befuddled. I explain that [Coworker #1] just went to get the shoe and is coming before they ask, but then, as I’m explaining this, what should I hear but the customer stopping TWO MORE of my coworkers. They go into the back and start shouting for [Coworker #1] before I can stop them. I start redirecting my coworkers to go out of the other stockroom door while I do my closing duties so they don’t have to endure this mass of crazy entitlement.

Then, the customer walks boldly into the back and around the corner. I hear footsteps and think it is a coworker, until…

Customer: “EXCUUUUSE ME!”

I freeze in disbelief and slowly turn, like a deer into an oncoming car. I just can’t look away.

Me: “Ma’am, you can’t be back here.”

Customer: “But I want to know what is going on with my shoe!”

Me: “I already told you that my coworker is grabbing it. It’s our busiest day, so you’re going to need to give her a minute. Go sit outside and she will come to find you, but you can’t be back here!”

She leaves, only to continue her tirade outside of the stockroom door. My coworkers, now wiser, ignore her. Then, she pulls this gem and starts shouting right outside the door.

Customer: “I CHECKED MY TIMER, AND I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES!”

It has not even been five minutes. Because she isn’t receiving what she considers her proper attention, she is now lying to get my coworker in trouble. I leave the stockroom, vengeance in mind.

Customer: “I’ve been wait—”

Me: “Ma’am, I had this discussion with you. My coworker is grabbing the shoe.”

Customer: “But I’ve been wait—”

Me: “I heard you, and you haven’t been waiting twenty-five minutes. I’ve been here this whole time. I was right beside my coworker when she grabbed the shoe from you. She’s been back there less than five minutes. You have not been waiting for twenty-five. Sit down and give her some more time. We’re very busy today.”

Customer: “I checked my timer, and it’s been twenty-five minutes!”

Me: “Ma’am, I also checked my manager’s clock before I went into the back. I needed to in order to finish my shift. Both my manager and I know exactly what time it was when my coworker came into the back because we all walked back here together. It was 6:38. You’re telling me that if I go check the clock, it’s going to be past seven?”

She doesn’t have anything to say to that, so she falls silent and turns away. I figure I have defeated the beast and go into the back, only to hear:

Customer: “I’VE BEEN WAITING TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES!”

I’m hoping she was just having a bad day.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!