Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Driving A Hard Bargain

, , , | Related | June 10, 2014

(My husband and I decide to surprise our families and drive 1,100 miles to visit them the weekend after Mother’s Day. I have my dad get my siblings together that weekend for a ‘late Mother’s Day celebration’ so I can see everyone. We have already arrived and surprised our moms, but our siblings don’t know yet. I call my sister to find out her schedule for the next day.)

Me: “So, do you have any big plans this weekend?”

Sister: “Well, I work tomorrow, and then on Sunday I’m spending the whole day with Mom and [Brothers] for a Mother’s Day celebration, since Mom worked last weekend.”

Me: “Oh, that sounds like fun.”

Sister: *jokingly* “Yeah, you guys should come!”

Me: “Haha. Yeah, we’ll get right on that. It’s kind of a long drive…”

Sister: *still joking* “Well, if you start now, you should be here in time!”

Me: *to [Husband]* “[Sister] wants us to come up and visit this weekend.”

Husband: “I’ll only do it if I get to eat [Restaurant].”

(The restaurant is local and his favorite.)

Sister: “Tell him I’ll buy him some [Restaurant] if you guys come.”

Me: “All right. Well, we’ll talk it over and get back to you. We love you. Good night!”

(Five minutes later, we arrive at my sister’s door.)

Sister: *flabbergasted* “Wha… What?! What are you… You’re not getting [Restaurant]!”


This story is part of the Mother’s Day 2023 roundup!

Read the next Mother’s Day 2023 roundup story!

Read the Mother’s Day 2023 roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!