Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Drive It Forward

, , , , , | Right | June 10, 2023

The day that this occurs, I know from my previous job working at a gas station that I am going to have to apologize before even getting started with the attendant. I choose a station that I know has multiple tills and a long counter and always has friendly people working.

When I enter, I am in luck: no one is in line, and two attendants are working.

Me: “I need to apologize ahead of time. I am sorry, but all I have today is one dollar and a lot of change.”

I show them my pouch of coins. It’s all silver, no pennies; I’m not that evil.

Me: “Can I count these out of the way of customers?”

Attendant: “I can take you right here. It’s okay; I’ve been there.”

Me: “Thank you so much. I didn’t know what to do. I don’t get paid until Thursday, and I have to get to my doctor’s appointment, and I’m so sorry.”

We work together to stack everything into piles of quarters, dimes, and nickels. Then, the other attendant comes over with a roll and starts rolling them. The final count is $19.50. With gas prices so high, that will get me about 3.5 gallons, enough to get me home and to work until I get paid.

I thank the attendants again for their patience and head to my car at the pump.

I get the nozzle in the car and hit the grade button, and the pump isn’t working. It says, “See Cashier”. “Okay,” I think. “Maybe they needed an extra minute to set the pump.” Sure enough, the pump resets, but it says, “Prepay: $29.50”. I clearly remember both the attendant and me confirming $19.50. As I am pulling the nozzle back out, a man approaches.

Man: “I added some more on there, so you just keep going until it stops.”

I am shocked. Is this real?

Me: “Oh, my God, thank you so much!”

He smiles and walks away. I start the pump, and as I am finishing, the man is back. He sees the amount on the pump.

Man: “Hang on. I added $20.00 to your $19.50; you have $10.00 more coming.”

He walks back into the store as I hang up the nozzle. I follow him because I can’t yet believe this is real. He comes out grinning.

Man: “There’s $10.00 more on there. You’re good to go.”

Me: “Thank you again. What’s your name?”

Man: “[Man].”

Me: “Thank you, [Man]. I’m [My Name, which is also an animal].”

Man: “I love [animals], and I also drive a [car I drive], so we have to have to help each other. Just pay it forward one day.”

Me: “I will! Thank you!”

I returned to my car and added that other $10.00, and the man pulled by to make sure it was on there before he drove off. I returned to the store with tears in my eyes to also thank the attendants, who were grinning back at me. There is caring in the world, and it is okay to accept it and say thank you when it comes your way.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!