Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Don’t. Mess. With. Kangaroos.

, , , , , | Friendly | November 6, 2023

A couple of friends and I are visiting a historical site that is home to a mob of wild kangaroos. One friend is an animal lover who is clueless about the dangers that approaching wild kangaroos can incur.

We are watching the mob from a safe distance when one moves toward us, putting itself about half the distance between us and the rest of the kangaroos.

Friend #1: “Oh, my God, how cute!”

Before we can stop her she makes a beeline for it, clicking her tongue behind her teeth to make the “Skippy The Bush Kangaroo” (1970s Australian television show) sound and holding out a piece of grass to it.

Me: “[Friend #1], don’t do it.”

Friend  #1: “Come with me! It’s such a cutie!”

Friend #2: “No, you need to leave it alone. Come back!”

[Friend #1] ignores us.

Friend #2: “[My Name], she’s just going to have to learn, but get ready just in case.” 

[Friend #1] is now two metres from the kangaroo, and she screams before scampering back to us.

Friend #1: “It growled at me! Why would it growl like that?”

Me: “Because he was protecting himself and his females. You’re lucky he only growled. Male kangaroos are dangerous!”

Friend #1: “But he was so cute! How could he be dangerous? They don’t bite, do they?”

We had to explain that they use their legs as weapons, and even a small one like this could rip skin open. [Friend #1] was still dumbfounded that the kangaroo didn’t realise she was friendly.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!